In order to do something different each week of the year, I have a list of challenges to undertake...

Monday 5 August 2013

Week 31 - Clean out the Fridge

I used to have a fridge/freezer, which had the fridge bit at the top, so seeing exactly what was in there was a doddle. Now I have an undercounter fridge which seems to have more hidden corners in it - although Domino cat does find it more convenient for browsing should the door be open for more than a second or two.

I suspect that the collection of half used jars that lurk in the back might need some scrutiny, and I noticed a couple of ring marks on the shelves the other day. That coupled with the top door shelf containing a piece of ginger which shrinks and dries a little more each day of the several months that it has been there, along with a wizened half a lemon means that the fridge could do with a clear out and a good clean.

A half remembered piece of information about bicarbonate of soda made me go and have a look online about fridge cleaning, and sure enough Ch4 'DIY - Cleaning Tips - How to Clean a Fridge' stared off by detailing the every week task of 'removing fridge shelves and compartments and wash them in warm soapy water, then rinse & dry...'

Every week. Blimey! Best get the marigolds on and look sharp!

My stocktake revealed a jar of elderly pickle, which went in the batch of ratatouille I was making; a lock'n'lock of homemade tomato/pepper sauce, also elderly. That went in the ratatouille too. A few capers were left in the jar, which I chucked in the salad I had for tea; but the tomato puree kept - no one takes any notice of the 'once opened eat within 5 days' on tomato puree tubes, do they?


I put the two unopened jars of redcurrant jelly in the cupboard & kept out the open one; and I chucked away the ginger & half lemon.

All shelves duly washed with warm soapy water; the body of the fridge wiped down with bicarb of soda (2tsp to a litre, if you were wondering). I pulled the fridge out, cleaning the outer surfaces, and the (rather revolting) floor underneath. I even dusted the grill thing at the back.


Then put it all back together again - and I have a shiny tidy fridge - so that's my week 31 Challenge - done!

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I sort through my fridge before the shopping each week and generally wipe up marks as they happen and only have a good clean out about every 2 months or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're better organised than I am! Mind you, I'm a bit haphazard making shopping lists too...

      Delete