In order to do something different each week of the year, I have a list of challenges to undertake...

Sunday 13 October 2013

Week 41 - Eat Something New

I like to think I have a cosmopolitan view of the world's foodstuffs, and have a varied diet, and am competent - if basic - cook. Having said that, I find that I do cook the same dozen or so meals (with some variations) pretty much all the time.

So one of the joys of being away is to eat things you aren't used to eating at home, and I'm back from my holidays with lots of inspiration of dishes which I would like to try.

But more than eating something cooked a bit differently, or with a different sauce, or accompaniment, being in that different environment also gives you the opportunity of eating something completely new.

I'm up for that - the worst that can happen is that you don't like it, and you might discover an absolute gem. So sitting under the olive tree one lunchtime at a restaurant overlooking the harbour at Los Abrigos, I spotted 'chopitos fritos' on the menu - lightly battered and fried baby squid.


Never had that before, but in for a penny and all that. And I'm so glad I went for it - they are delicious! Although the faint of heart might not want to look too closely at all those squiggly legs.


Yum, yum, yum - my week 41 Challenge, done!

2 comments:

  1. I love calamari rings, but have always balked at the whole thing. Yes, all those squiggly legs is what I can't get my head around also. If your game, maybe I'll try it one day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key is to bask in the dappled sunshine, concentrate on the sea view, and the lovely taste of the chopitos, and not look too closely at what you're actually eating!

      Delete